In the late 18th century, with residents in the southern part of Cape Elizabeth seeking their own place of worship, Jonathan Mitchell donated one acre of land for a cemetery and what is now the Spurwink Meeting House, with local inhabitants furnishing labor, timber and supplies.
The Riverside Cemetery was incorporated in 1882.
The Town of Cape Elizabeth voted to assume control of the Riverside Cemetery in 1945, and added approximately 26 acres to the site.
Located behind the Spurwink Church, the cemetery looks over the marshes and slopes gently to the Spurwink River.
Dates in the oldest section go back to 1810. It is maintained by the Town and lots are available to Cape Elizabeth residents, and to those with Cape affiliations, as determined by a three-member citizen committee.
The Riverside Cemetery Committee advises the Town Council on policies, rules and operations of the cemetery. The committee considers and proposes long-range planning of cemetery expansion. Sale of lots to non-residents, buy-backs of lots and appeals of rules and regulations are considered by the committee.
(Historical information from "Cape Elizabeth - Past to Present", compiled by the Cape Elizabeth Historical Preservation Society