Consultant wanted to facilitate public participation in forming new comprehensive plan
The Comprehensive Plan 2019 Committee is soliciting proposals to design and implement a public participation program as an integral component of the comprehensive plan under development. Bids are due by 3 p.m. Tuesday, March 7, 2017.
Request for Proposals
Public Participation Program
Town of Cape Elizabeth
2019 Comprehensive Plan Committee
(issued February 17, 2017)
Summary of project: The 2019 Comprehensive Plan Committee is soliciting proposals to design and implement a public participation program as an integral component of the comprehensive plan under development.
Description of work to be performed
The Town of Cape Elizabeth seeks a public participation consultant to design, in consultation with the Comprehensive Plan Committee, a public participation program. The consultant will undertake all activities to implement the public participation program, with full participation of the committee. Possible elements of the public participation plan designed by the consultant may include:
1. Design and dissemination of materials to inform the public about the comprehensive plan process.
2. Hosting of a variety of public meetings, and development of other methods, with the focus of gathering public comment. The comprehensive plan committee will be conducting a public opinion survey as a companion effort to the public participation program, therefore this proposal should not include that public opinion survey.
3. Recording of public comment at public events.
4. Preparation of a report summarizing public comment.
The Town of Cape Elizabeth website is available to host the comprehensive plan public information and town staff will support basic administrative functions such as mailings.
The proposal should include:
1. The principal doing the work should be identified and his/her qualifications provided. Recommendations are preferred but not required. Experience with comprehensive plan and other land use/public participation efforts should be identified.
2. The proposer shall indicate that they have sufficient time to dedicate to the program and to complete work to be performed in a timely manner. (The comprehensive plan committee began meeting in January, 2017 and will complete its work by December, 2018).
3. The proposer shall provide examples of similar completed work.
4. The proposal should include a description of the techniques that can be used to disseminate materials to inform the public and gather public comment.
5. The public participation program should be consistent with the State of Maine Comprehensive Plan rule.
A budget of $12,000 has been set aside for the public participation program.
Evaluation of Proposals: The Comprehensive Plan Committee will review the proposals at the March 8, 2017 meeting. Following the meeting, selected proposers may be asked to schedule an interview. In evaluating the proposals, the following may be considered:
1. The ability, capacity, and skill of the bidder to perform the contract,
2. Whether the bidder can perform the contract promptly, without delay or interference;
3. The character, integrity, reputation, judgment, experience and efficiency of the bidder;
4. The quality of performance of previous contracts or services;
5. The previous and existing compliance by the proposer with laws and ordinances relating to the contract or services;
6. The quality, availability and adaptability of contractual services to the particular use required;
7. The number and scope of conditions attached to the proposal;
8. In the event of proposals of equal quality and service, preference may be given to a local vendor.
9. Assuming notification of a successful proposal by April 30, 2017, when will work commence.
Submission deadline: Proposals should be sent by email to the address below by 3:00 p.m. on March 7, 2017. Review of the bids will occur at the March 8, 2017 Comprehensive Plan Committee meeting.
The Town reserves the right to accept, or reject any, or all bids.
Questions regarding this request for proposals and scope of work shall be directed to:
Cape Elizabeth Town Planner
320 Ocean House Rd
P.O. Box 6260
Cape Elizabeth, Maine 04107